PhilSox Blog: 2008 Predicitons

 


2008 Predicitons

I've updated this ti include MVPs, ROYs, and Rolaids Relief Man for both leagues. I was reminded of these omissions by this contest. The original post was on 3/11/08.

Before teams pack up and head home from the lands of grapefruit and cacti (or, in the Sox case, head to the land of the rising sun,) I wanted to weigh in on the upcoming season and make soem predicitions to see if I really know as little as I think I do about everyone but the Phillies and Red Sox.

My Predictions:

Most Improved Team - Giants

I think once the focus is off the Barry Bonds, the rest of the team is going to step-up and be surprising.

Most Opposite-of-Improved Team - Rockies

Last year was a fluke. Pure and simple.

Greatest Decrease in Attendance - Giants

More wins not withstanding, less Barry, less gate.

Greatest Increase in Attendance - Rays

These guys are about to come out of the cellar and I think we'll see the fans come out of the woodwork.

Most Surprising (Good) Team Performance - Reds

Just a gut feeling.

Most Surprising (Bad) Team Performance - Padres

No reason why they should sink, but I think they will.

Manager of the Year - Joe Torre

Not quite "worst to first", but close.

Scapegoat of the Year - (3-way tie) Bud Black (Padres), Clint Hurdle (Rockies), Joe Girardi (Yankees)

The first two because a bad year after a good year always gets blamed on the manager, unless there are a ton of injuries. Girardi? No matter what he does, Hank is going to give him grief for not winning it all.

Most Surprising (Bad) Pitcher - Johan Santana

Again, just a gut feeling. Don't get me wrong, he's not going to be horrible, but no 20 wins, no Cy Young, no World Series. It's not sour grapes. There is just too much hype for him to live up to, while batting, to boot. I'm thinking 32 appearances, 2 complete, 14 wins, 3.30 ERA.

Most Surprising (Good) Pitcher - Jon Lester

Jon is going to win 20 this year and take up the Schilling slack. 33 starts, 1 complete, 20 wins, 2.89 ERA.

Most Surprising (Bad) Hitter - Prince Fielder

I don't think he'll have another year like last. Again, not horrible. just average. 29 HR, .296 BA.

Most Surprising (Good) Hitter - Alex Rodriguez

As much as it pains me, I think A-Rod will be AL MVP again. The only reason it is surprising is because the team will do worse and no ne would think that A-Rod could do that good two years runing! 61 HR, .340 BA, 152 RBI, and a Gold Glove at 3rd!

MVP AL
Alex Rodriguez - NYY

MVP NL
David Wright - NYM

Cy Young AL
Justin Verlander - DET

Cy Young NL
Jake Peavy - SD

ROY AL
Evan Longoria - TB

ROY NL
Kosuke Fukodome - CHC

Rolaids Relief Man AL
Jonathan Papelbon - BOS

Rolaids Relief Man NL
Takashi Saito - LAD

AL EAST


AL CENTRAL


AL WEST


WL

WL

WL
*Red Sox9765
*Tigers10062
*Mariners9666
Yankees9270
~Indians9567
Angels9369
Rays9171
Twins9369
Athletics8973
Orioles8676
White Sox8874
Rangers8082
Blue Jays8082
Royals7587














NL EAST


NL CENTRAL


NL WEST


WL

WL

WL
*Mets10062
*Brewers9765
Dodgers10062
~Phillies9864
Cubs9567
D-Backs9765
Atlanta9072
Reds9369
Giants9072
Florida8676
Astros9072
Padres8874
Washington8082
Cardinals8874
Rockies8181




Pirates7587




*DIVISION ~WILDCARD



POST SEASON


Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

3 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi to you. I read your comment on my blog, you know, the one about Clay Buchholz' girlfriend. Good one. Hey, I'm adding the link to your blog to my link list. If you'd like to do the same, that would be so great. Here are my link details, just in case.

Peter's Red Sox Forever
http://peteronall.blogspot.com/

Thanks again, and if you need to reach me my email is available through my blog profile, or just leave a comment. Your link is up in one minute! Take care...Peter N.

 
At March 14, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Your link is up as of now, 6:40am (yawn!) on this Friday morning. Have a great weekend, and I hope you can add mine. pete

 
At March 14, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you for the link! We will all enjoy this 2008 baseball season! Pete

 

Post a Comment