PhilSox Blog: Yankers Go Home!

 


Yankers Go Home!

Even with the demise of the Red Sox large lead in the A.L. and the surge that the Yankers have been having, I'm still watching the Sox on MLB.tv and grimacing all the way. While I do so, most times I log onto TalkSox.com (TS) and make/read posts on the thread for that days game. I like the idea of being able to interact with other members of RSN, of which there are not many in my locale. But peppered in this forum are a handful of Yanker fans, and as much as I want to be magnanimous, I wish they would leave.

You see, I have never been one for either trashing someone's team, nor have I ever gotten much joy out of raving about my own team's successes and jamming them up the nose of people who don't like my favorite teams. My enjoyment has always come from reveling in the teams' successes with other fans and the camaraderie that comes with those successes as well as the losses we comfort each other through. That is why I go to TS.

The appearance of Yanker fans there sometimes makes for spirited debate about real baseball issues. Usually though, it degenerates into the discussion thread version of a shouting match. Not my style.

Many of the posters on TS assert that Yanker fans are welcome to post just for the debate and mention how it makes things more interesting. I can see their points, but I truly feel that the Yanker fans bring too little to the table to merit their detractions.

First, I really get annoyed at how quiet the Yanker fans are when the Yankers are losing. This is, of course, especially true when it is an actual game between the Red Sox and Yankers. One the Red Sox fall behind, or the Yankers surge ahead in their game, all of a sudden the Yanker posts grow exponentially. Couple that with the idea that while many exhibit a true wealth of baseball knowledge, their comments always come back to name calling and stock epithets about 26 rings and such.

What puzzles me the most is that a Yanker fan would want to spend so much time (some with thousands of posts since joining) on a Red Sox discussion forum. Aside from not understanding why they would not want to hang out and trade comments on a board set up for Yanker fans, it also seems to me that their mere presence would indicate less that honorable intentions. I mean, truly, why else would you step into enemy territory other than to pick a fight?

While I really can not stand the Yankers at all, I have no desire to explain to Yanker fans why. I feel no need to argue the virtues of my team or why I love them, mostly because they aren't easily explained reasons. As I have mentioned before, I believe your team chooses you, not the other way around.

I'm willing to make a deal. If you guys leave the Sox forums alone, I'll leave the Yankers forums alone. I'll even do you one better. I'll promise not to grow a cheesy moustache and shorten my name so that it ends in a "y".

Deal?

Labels: , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment