PhilSox Blog: Frustration, Not Horror?

 


Frustration, Not Horror?

I feel like I've earned a little bit more of my membership in Red Sox Nation over the last three days while watching the series at the Fens with the Yankers. Unlike the previous series when we got swept, where each game was over almost before it began, the two losses this weekend were gut wrenching because we blew leads. Friday's 8th inning debacle left me literally nauseous when the Bronx Bobos scored 6 runs to take the 8-6 lead. Saturday's win left me almost high, having watched every pitch of the 10-1 drubbing. Then last night, again in the 8th inning, Jeter smacks one of only two bad pitches by Schilling onto the Monster for a 4-1 lead.

That would have been enough to leave me drained and sullen. But it was not all. In the ninth, against Mariano Rivera, who can't possibly like the Red Sox based on his luck against them, we load the bases with two out and Papi steps to the plate. I though I was going to explode. By this time the score was 4-3. He need not homer. He could slap a bloop single and all would be right in Bean Town (and where I was!) But even Papi can not prevail every time. His pop fly (to of all people, the grinning Jeter) ended the game.

As I have learned from various life long Sox fans, I have not begun to experience the true torture that being a Red Sox fan has held for countless faithful. What's more, I may never know. At least for now, the Sox still have a 4 1/2 game lead in the AL East with only about 12 games left. (As I typed this, I went to MLB.com to check the actual number and noticed in the process that while the Yankers are beating Baltimore 5-2, the Sox are losing to the Jays, 4-1!)

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

-Andy Dufresne
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment