PhilSox Blog: 752 and 753

 


752 and 753

I hate to stand on convention (it has never stood on me,) but I have to weigh in on the Barry Bonds thing. What would a baseball blog be without at least mentioning the biggest story in baseball?

After sitting out for three games with bow legs or shin splints (or whatever), Bonds played today at Wrigley field and hit home runs 752 and 753. He's back on track again and looking to break Aaron's record in the next week or two. So, in honor of this dubious occasion, let me pause to answer some obvious questions as to my thoughts on the whole thing.
  1. Will Bonds break Aaron's record? Without a doubt.
  2. Will I be watching when it happens? If I can. I'm a baseball fan!
  3. Do I think there should be an asterisk on the record? Only if it is proven that he used PEDs.
  4. Do I think he used Performance Enhancing Drugs? Yes, I do.
  5. What do I think, in general, about Bonds breaking this record? I wish it were someone who was a classier guy. Someone who is a little less miserable and mean to teammates and people in general. I will wait patiently for A-Rod to catch him and put this chapter of baseball history behind us.

I, for one, do not believe that alleged steroid use is the worst issue with Bonds. The worst issue is, by far, his attitude. Bonds is not a team player according to many people who have been on teams with him. He jogs to first when he grounds out, but then can steal a base in the next game, which leads me to believe that he dogged it not because of age or injury, but just because he felt like it. He is one of the only players (if not the only) who refuses to lend his name to video games that the Players Association sanctions. He continually blames everyone (fans, media, legal system, etc) for all his woes and never takes responsibility for anything (infidelity, tax evasion, PEDs, etc.) Bonds is one of those athletes who has forgotten the amazing fact that he gets paid to play a game and he should be thankful for that. He should accept his position as a role model for youth even though he did not specifically ask to be such.

At the same time, one cannot logically refute that the man is one of the most gifted/talented individuals to ever play the game. 756 will be an historical moment. I suppose I can put the animosity aside for a night and watch him circle those bases. And I sincerely hope that Bud Selig is there. It is his job!

Labels: , , , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment